I feel like going to the movies tonight

 Objectifs :

  • Inviter quelqu'un, accepter, refuser
  • Fixer un rendez-vous 
  • S'excuser 
Activités :
  1. Watch a video about someone inviting a friend. Analyse the situations. 
  2. Study the functions: announcing the plan, inviting, accepting, and refusing an invitation. 
  3. Free Practice.
  4. Reading comprehension. 
  5. Listening compréhension 
Final task :
1) It's your birthday. Invite your friends to come over for a dinner party. One accepts your invitation, but another friend refuses it. Write down the conversations.


Practice 1: Accepting an invitation :

Larry: “Hey Jenny, would you like to catch a movie this weekend? I heard the new action film is really good.”

Jenny: “That sounds great! I’ve been wanting to see that one. What time were you thinking?”

Larry: “How about Saturday at 7 PM? We can grab some popcorn too!”

Jenny: “Perfect! I’ll meet you at the theater around 6:45 then.”

Larry: “Awesome! Looking forward to it.”

Jenny: “Me too! It’ll be fun.”



Practice 2: Refusing an invitation, giving an excuse. 

Sheehan: “Hey Beth, I just got tickets to the basketball game this Saturday. Want to join me? It should be a lot of fun!”

Beth: “Thanks for the invite, Sheehan! I really appreciate it, but I can’t make it this weekend. I have a family commitment that I can’t skip.”

Sheehan: “Oh, that’s too bad! I was looking forward to hanging out and cheering for our team together.”

Beth: “I know, me too! But how about we plan something for next week instead? Maybe grab dinner or catch a movie?”

Sheehan: “That sounds great! Let’s definitely do that. Just let me know when you’re free.”

Beth: “Will do! Enjoy the game!”







Reading comprehension

Jenny had been looking forward to the weekend all week. After a long, exhausting school week filled with tests and assignments, she decided to treat herself to a movie marathon. On Saturday evening, she settled into her cozy living room with a bowl of popcorn and her favorite blanket. The first film was a thrilling adventure that kept her on the edge of her seat. As the credits rolled, she felt exhilarated but also nostalgic for the characters she had come to love.

The next day, Jenny chose a heartwarming drama that made her reflect on friendship and family. Tears streamed down her face as she connected deeply with the story. By Sunday night, Jenny felt rejuvenated and inspired by the films she had watched. She realized that sometimes, all you need is a good movie to escape reality and find joy in storytelling.

Vocabulary Exercise: use a dictionary and look up for the definition. 

  1. Cozy =

  2. Exhilarated =

  3. Nostalgic =

  4. Rejuvenated =

  5. Heartwarming =

Comprehension questions :

  1. What did Jenny do to treat herself over the weekend?

  2. Where did Jenny watch her movies?

  3. Why did Jenny feel nostalgic after watching the first film?

  4. How did watching movies affect Jenny’s feelings by Sunday night?

True or False Questions

  1. Jenny planned to watch a movie marathon over the weekend after a tiring school week.

  2. The first film Jenny watched was a heartwarming drama that made her cry.

  3. By the end of the weekend, Jenny felt rejuvenated and inspired by the films she had seen.

  4. Jenny watched a total of three movies during her weekend marathon.