Handling Customer's Complaints
Objectives :
- Dealing with customers complaints effectively
- Offering solutions
Activities :
- Brainstorming
- Identify common customer complaints
- How to address complaints and customer concerns
- Strategies for handling difficult customers
- Additional materials : vocabulary on food preparation and cooking
Final task :
Roleplay scenarios for resolving issues and offering solutions
1) Introduction
2) Common Restaurant Complaints
- Low-quality food or drink
- Order mix-up
- Slow service
- Poor customer service
- Uncleanliness
- Overpriced menu items
- General atmosphere
- Unavailable products or services
- Delivery arrived late or cold
- Food poisoning
3) How to Address Customer Complaints effectively:
"Turn the complaints into hospitality wins"
- Listen to the complaints attentively
- Empathize with their feelings of frustration
- Apologize for the problem
- Fix the issue quickly and politely.
- Follow up: record the complaints
4) Conversation Between a Waiter and a Customer
The restaurant is bustling with activity, and the aroma of various dishes fills the air. A customer, visibly upset, waves down a waiter to address their concerns.
Customer: Excuse me! I need to talk to you about my meal.
Waiter: Of course! I’m here to help. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: Well, for starters, the chicken in my dish doesn’t taste fresh at all. It’s really disappointing!
Waiter: I’m very sorry to hear that. Freshness is something we take pride in, and it’s concerning to hear that your chicken didn’t meet those standards. Can you tell me more about what you found off about it?
Customer: Also, the bread served with my meal is stale! It’s hard and not enjoyable at all.
Waiter: I sincerely apologize for that as well. Stale bread is unacceptable in our establishment. We strive to serve only freshly baked items. Let me replace that for you right away.
Customer: And on top of that, my dish is cold! It feels like it was just sitting out for too long before being served.
Waiter: That’s completely understandable; no one wants to eat a cold meal. I will have our kitchen reheat your dish immediately or prepare a new one if you prefer. Your satisfaction is our priority.
Customer: Lastly, I’ve been waiting far too long for everything! The service has been incredibly slow tonight.
Waiter: I truly apologize for the delay in service. We are experiencing a busy evening, but that shouldn’t affect your dining experience negatively. I appreciate your patience and will do everything possible to expedite your order from here on out.
Waiter: Here’s what I can do: I’ll take your current dish back and have it replaced with a fresh one while also bringing you some warm bread from the oven right away. Additionally, if you’d like, I can offer you a complimentary dessert as an apology for these inconveniences.
Customer: Thank you for understanding and offering solutions. That sounds good!
The waiter nods appreciatively and heads back towards the kitchen with urgency while ensuring the customer feels acknowledged and valued.