W5: Upselling and Recommendations

 Objectives :

  • To be able to upsell and make recommendations to customers
Activities :

  1. Introductory video: Cross-selling vs. Upselling
  2. Identify and learn Techniques for upselling and making recommendations to customers
  3. Describing specials and promotions
  4. Conversation practice : video 

Final task :

Roleplay exercises for upselling and suggesting additional items


-----------------------------------------------------------------

1) Cross-selling vs. Upselling


2) Conversation Between a Waiter and a Customer Ordering Pizza:

Waiter: Good evening! Welcome to our restaurant. May I start you off with a drink?

Client: Sure, I’ll have a water for now.

Waiter: Excellent choice! If you’re looking for something to pair with your meal later, may I recommend our house red wine? It complements many dishes beautifully, especially our chicken pizza.

Client: Chicken pizza? What’s special about it?

Waiter: Our chicken pizza features tender grilled chicken marinated in a blend of herbs and spices, topped with fresh mozzarella and a tangy barbecue sauce. It’s one of our most popular items!

Client: That does sound good.

Waiter: It truly is! The flavors are vibrant and the crust is perfectly crispy. Plus, if you order a glass of the house red, it enhances the taste even more. Would you like to try that?

Client: You’ve convinced me! I’ll have the chicken pizza and a glass of the house red.

Waiter: Fantastic choice! I’ll get that started for you right away.


3) Describing specials and promotions:

Waiter: Good evening! May I interest you in our special for tonight? We have a delightful crusty chicken thigh that’s been marinated in a blend of herbs and spices.

Client: Crusty chicken thigh? What makes it special?

Waiter: It’s slow-roasted to perfection, giving it a beautifully crispy skin while keeping the meat juicy and tender. We serve it with a side of our fresh tossed salad, which features seasonal greens, cherry tomatoes, and a light vinaigrette.

Client: That sounds tempting! Is the salad made with local ingredients?

Waiter: Absolutely! We pride ourselves on using locally sourced produce to ensure freshness and flavor. The combination of the savory chicken and the crisp salad is simply divine.

Client: I love a good balance of flavors. How is the chicken seasoned?

Waiter: It’s seasoned with garlic, rosemary, and thyme, creating an aromatic experience that complements the richness of the chicken. Would you like to try it?

Client: Yes, I’ll have that! Thank you for the recommendation!

----------
Functions highlights :

I recommend our... It features.... It's one of the most popular [pizzas in our restaurant.]
We serve it with our...., which features... 
To pair up with your order, I recommend our house red wine. It enhances flavor, especially with the chicken pizza. 

Write some food items from the menu and describe their features (ingredients, preparation and cooking methods, spices, texture). Work on the final task. 


Conversation practice :