W7: Money and Transactions

Objectives :

  • Handling payments, giving change
  • Checking the bills
Activities :

  1. Brainstorming video about bills, payments, and tipping
  2. Conversation on payment and bills, handling cash, and giving change
  3. Listening comprehension: Taking orders from different types of customers 
Final task :
As a waiter, simulate transactions with customers after their meal. 


1) Introduction video




2) Conversation practice :

Customer: Excuse me, could I get the bill, please?

Waiter: Of course! Here you go. Your total comes to $45.50.

Customer: Great, I’ll pay with my credit card.

Waiter: No problem! Would you like to add a tip to that?

Customer: Yes, what’s the standard percentage here?

Waiter: Typically, customers leave around 15-20% for good service.

Customer: Alright, let’s go with 20%. So that would be an additional $9.10.

Waiter: Exactly! That brings your total to $54.60.

Customer: Perfect. Here’s my card.

Waiter: Thank you! I’ll process that right away. Would you like your change back or should I put it on the card?

Customer: Just keep the change as a tip; I appreciate your service!

Waiter: Thank you very much! I’ll be right back with your receipt.


Over to you:
Choose a menu and act out the scenario. 



3) Listening tasks :