W2 - Menu Knowledge

 Menu Knowledge

Objectives :

- Vocabulary related to food items on the menu (appetizers, main courses, desserts, beverages)

- Describing dishes using adjectives (spicy, sweet, savory, etc.)

- Recommending dishes and answering menu-related questions


Activities :

  1. In a menu, identify the parts of the meal: starters or apperizers, main dishes or main courses, beverages or drinks, and desserts. What does the restaurant have? 
  2. Describe dishes, food tastes and textures 
  3. Recommend dishes to guests (video) 
  4. Additional vocabulary building 

Final task :

You are a chef at a restaurant. Recommend the specialty of the house to your guests. 




Practice 2:

1. Food that is cooked with a lot of oil or fat, is often

           

2. Food that when first chewed has a hard texture and makes a noise in the mouth (e.g. fried bacon), is

           

3. Food that contains a lot of different types of spices but doesn't burn your mouth, is

           

4. Normally, the dessert is sweet and the main course is

           

5. Food that contains a lot of chillies, is

           

6. Food that makes a loud noise in the mouth when chewed, is

           

7. Food that doesn't have a strong taste of anything, is

           

8. When something has a good taste or flavour, it is

          

9. Food that is made from milk products, is often

          
Practice 2, exercise 2


Exercise: Food tastes and textures

Read the following conversation between Peter and Juan in a restaurant in Yorkshire. Peter is describing the different tastes and textures of the dishes on a menu.

From the context, try to guess what the meaning of the words/phrases in bold are. Then do the quiz at the end to check if you are right.

Peter:'So Juan, what do you fancy having?'

Juan:'I'm not sure. There's lots of food and dishes from around the world on this menu. You've eaten here before, what's the chicken vindaloo curry like?'

Peter:'It's very hot. The last time I had it, my mouth was burning for about 15 minutes. To be honest, it's a bit bland, it doesn't really taste of anything. If you want to have a curry, I would recommend the tikka masala, it's spicy, they use about 15 different spices in it, but it's not hot. I like it, it's really tasty.'

Juan:'I'm not sure I want Indian food. And the fish and chips?'

Peter:'Although I'm English, I don't like it, it's greasy. It's covered in too much oil for me.'

Juan:'What are the salads like here? They have a caesar salad, is it ok?'

Peter:'Well, yeah. I had it a couple of years ago and it was good. They use fried bacon in the salad as well, which is strange for a caesar salad. The iceberg lettuce and the bacon were very crispy, they make a noise when you first chew them. It has fried croutons, which were so crunchy.

Juan:'Just to be sure that I understand you correctly, croutons are the small pieces of cold fried bread you get in the salad?'

Peter:'That's correct. They are almost like eating a savoury biscuit, or as the Americans call them, cookie.'

Juan:'I hope the caesar sauce here isn't too creamy. In some places it is, it's like you are having a salad with a savoury milkshake. Not good.'
Practice 3: Talking about food and taste. Making recommendations